May 12, 2010

Kayaking Silver Creek with the family

One of my favorite activities from last summer was kayaking Silver Creek Preserve with my family.   Simply a remarkable ride to experience with my family.  So beautiful, so peaceful, so rewarding and oh so fun!
We had two kayaks and my husband took one kid and I took the other two kids.  The river pushes you downstream, so heavy paddling is not required. We saw a wide variety of birds, fish and one deer.  Apparently, there is a resident moose that we can never spot.  I think we are too noisy for that moose! The water is so pristine that you can literally see the bottom of the river the entire time.  It's like floating on Heaven.  

The entire adventure took us over an hour and I was surprised that kayaking kept my kids' attention for that long. I think they were also soaking up the amazing family experience.  We sang songs, talked to each other and just adored being together in nature.  Seriously, how lucky are we that this sanctuary is a mere 30 minutes from us?  Thank you Ernest Hemingway and Idaho for preserving it!
Towards the end of the trip, we ran into some fly fishermen. Rightly so, they take fishing very seriously, so we tried our best to keep silent and keep our distance.  Easier said than done with a one and three year old.  Next time, we will bring organic lollipops to help sooth the pressure to keep so quiet.

I am looking forward to strapping on our swimsuits and life jackets and kayaking down Silver Creek many times this summer and fall.  I hope you are also able to enjoy a day out there.




1 comment:

TNC-Idaho said...

We're glad you enjoyed a float at The Nature Conservancy's Silver Creek Preserve. Spring is a beautiful time to visit.

The preserve is open to the public for fishing, birding, hiking, wildlife spotting, and yes, kayaking. We just ask that everyone sign in at the visitor center.

If you'd like more information on the preserve, visit our web site: http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/idaho/preserves/art20609.html

We hope to see you there!

Best,
Matt Miller
The Nature Conservancy in Idaho