May 14, 2010

How to raise a well rounded child

A few years back, I read a great article on raising well rounded children.  I'm disappointed to say, that I can no longer find that article, but what I read has stuck with me for some time.


A study was conducted on what the common element that well rounded, smart, socially popular, athletic kids had in common.        No, they all didn't have genius, athletic or wealthy parents.  Believe it or not, the one  element that they had in common was that this group of kids ate with their family on a regular basis.  


Who knew that it was that easy?


Yet, that is sometimes easier said than done.  With kids in soccer, art class, swim lessons and play dates all the time, sitting down for a family meal can be challenging. Especially when you have a two year old who is done eating by the time you finish serving everyone.  


But, since I do want to give my children every advantage possible (and this is a mighty cheap way), I have been making a great effort to have family meals on most nights.  On some days, we even get all three meals together.  


Do you know what else I discovered?  Meal time is mighty fun. I get some of the biggest laughs during our meals together. 


So, go ahead and break bread with your wonderful family and have a good old belly laugh while you are at it!


To read more about the benefits of eating together as a family, go here:


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/29/AR2005082901798.html

No comments: